Mental Health and Wellbeing
This range of resources provides support for lesson delivery, for example lesson plans.
- Samaritans: The Samaritans have developed DEAL – this stands for developing emotional awareness and listening. DEAL includes lesson plans, activities, hand-outs, DEAL digital resources, teachers' notes and staff training materials which can all be accessed and downloaded to use.
- Young minds: A range of resources and materials provided for school staff to support the integration of positive mental wellbeing.
- HeadsUp! Toolkit: This toolkit provides a variety of lesson ideas and plans to run with young people to promote mental health and emotional wellbeing. Take a look below.
- Better Health, Every Mind Matters: Through the school zone the public health England team have provided a range of resources and lesson plans across several mental health and wellbeing topics, including building connections and transition to secondary school.
- PSHE Association offers a wealth of support for teachers including health and emotional wellbeing guidance, and lesson plans and PowerPoints for key stages 1-4.
- SeeMe: Available through the 'What's on your mind' work there is a three-module pack for teachers of secondary school children to learn about mental health and develop the skills and confidence to tackle stigma and discrimination.
- Now and Beyond: Time flexible lesson plans are available to download, free of charge for KS3 & 4 that focus on one of three themes: kindness, gratitude or resilience. Schools can also apply for grants if your school urgently requires mental health support for students in the wake of the pandemic.
This range of websites provide further advice for teaching staff on mental health and wellbeing:
- Anna Freud Centre: this page provides advice on getting started on mental health and wellbeing for teachers and support staff. There is also a FREE Mental and Emotional health in schools online CPD which helps school staff recognise and respond to signs of poor mental health and support their own and other's emotional health.
- Charlie Waller Memorial Trust: this website provides resources on young people's mental health for parents and professionals, including guidance on supporting student mental health during GCSE exams and a wellbeing Action Plan for use with students.
- Mindfulness in Schools Project training courses: A charity whose aim is to encourage, support and research the teaching of secular mindfulness in schools.
- Start a Conversation: Aims to raise awareness of suicide and signpost to support that is available. Have a look at the calendar of events for upcoming training and national awareness days.
- Body Image and Mental Health in Young People: Learn more about how to support children and young people with their body image and mental health.
- Crisis Tools: a set of unique learning resources for those supporting young people in crisis: four short 15 minute 'learning guides', delivered by young people with lived experience, available free on their online learning platform - complementary to, but not a replacement for clinical training; for people working in health and care, education or any other professionals, and also for parents and carers. See information below.
This range of videos provide further advice for teachers on mental health and wellbeing.
- Leicestershire Educational Psychology Service: A bitesize video lasting 12 minutes providing an introduction to emotion coaching. Emotion coaching is a way of interacting and connecting with others. It works on the premise that moments of heightened emotion provide opportunities to connect with and guide children and young people in their journeys to understanding more about themselves.
- Public Health England: Guidance on supporting resilience and wellbeing for children and young people which can be used for policy planning.
- Department for Education: A range of practical materials for primary and secondary schools to use to train staff about teaching mental wellbeing.
- Example Mental Health & Emotional Wellbeing Whole School Policy can be be found below.
- The Leicestershire Healthy Schools Team have created guidance to support schools to develop their own Emotional Health & Wellbeing Policy. Please find the document below.
Staff Wellbeing Resources
These resources will help in supporting mental wellbeing for school staff.
Leicestershire County Council Governor Wellbeing Audit (Document, 32 Kb)
Staff Wellbeing Audit Tool (Document, 20 Kb)
Dealing with World Conflict
These websites and resources will support teaching staff in dealing with the complex subject of conflict around the world:
- The Education Hub - Help for teachers and families to talk to pupils about Russia's invasion of Ukraine and how to help them avoid misinformation.
- The BPS have advice and guidance about how to support children to manage anxiety over war, conflict and crises.
These websites will provide support for English as an Additional Language in schools:
Creating a Peace Rainbow: Explore ways to respond to a tragic incident or events (Document, 15.1 Mb)