Mental Health & Wellbeing
This range of resources provide support for lesson delivery.
- Samaritans: The Samaritans have developed DEAL – this stands for developing emotional awareness and listening. DEAL includes lesson plans, activities, hand-outs, digital resources, teachers' notes and staff training materials.
- Young Minds: A range of resources and materials provided for school staff to support the integration of positive mental wellbeing.
- HeadsUp! Toolkit: This toolkit provides a variety of lesson ideas and plans to run with young people to promote mental health and emotional wellbeing. Take a look below.
- Better Health, Every Mind Matters: Through the school zone the public health England team have provided a range of resources across several mental health and wellbeing topics, including building connections and transition to secondary school.
- PSHE Association offers a wealth of support for teachers including health and emotional wellbeing guidance, and lesson plans and PowerPoints for key stages 1-4.
- Anna Freud Centre: The talking mental health animation and teacher toolkit provides lesson plans and videos for work with primary school children.
- Now and Beyond: Time flexible lesson plans are available to download, free of charge for KS1 & 2 that focus on one of three themes: kindness, gratitude or resilience. Schools can also apply for grants if your school urgently requires mental health support for students in the wake of the pandemic.
This range of websites provide further advice for teachers on mental health and wellbeing.
- Anna Freud Centre: this page provides advice on getting started on mental health and wellbeing for teachers and support staff. There is also a FREE Mental and Emotional health in schools online CPD which helps school staff recognise and respond to signs of poor mental health and support their own and other's emotional health.
- Charlie Waller Memorial Trust: this website provides resources on young people's mental health for parents and professionals, including guidance on supporting student mental health during GCSE exams and a wellbeing Action Plan for use with students.
- Mental Health at Work: this toolkit provides links to various resources for supporting staff wellbeing in primary schools.
- Department for Education: a range of practical materials for primary and secondary schools to use to train staff about teaching mental wellbeing.
- Mental Health Foundation: this Make it Count Guide for teachers can be downloaded for free and provides information on mental health and the top tips for teachers.
- Start a Conversation: Aims to raise awareness of suicide and signpost to support that is available. Have a look at the calendar of events for upcoming training and national awareness days.
- Body Image and Mental Health in Young People: Learn more about how to support children and young people with their body image and mental health.
This range of videos provide further advice for teachers on mental health and wellbeing.
- Leicestershire Educational Psychology Service: A bitesize video lasting 12 minutes providing an introduction to emotion coaching. Emotion coaching is a way of interacting and connecting with others. It works on the premise that moments of heightened emotion provide opportunities to connect with and guide children and young people in their journeys to understanding more about themselves.
- Leicestershire Educational Psychology Service: A bitesize video lasting 12 minutes providing an introduction to staff resilience and wellbeing. It aims to share theory around psychology, schools and the pandemic as well as sharing practical ideas for enhancing staff wellbeing.
- Public Health England: Guidance on supporting resilience and wellbeing for children and young people it can be used for policy planning.
- Department for Education: compiled in this guidance are a range of mental health and wellbeing services/support. View them below.
- Example Mental Health & Emotional Wellbeing Whole School Policy can be be found below.
- The Leicestershire Healthy Schools Team have created guidance to support schools to develop their own Emotional Health & Wellbeing Policy. Please find the document below.
Staff Wellbeing Resources
These resources will help in supporting mental wellbeing for school staff.
Leicestershire County Council Governor Wellbeing Audit (Document, 32 Kb)
Staff Wellbeing Audit Tool (Document, 20 Kb)
Dealing with World Conflict
These websites and resources will support school staff in dealing with the complex subject of conflict around the world:
- The Education Hub - Help for teachers and families to talk to pupils about Russia's invasion of Ukraine and how to help them avoid misinformation.
- The BPS have advice and guidance about how to support children to manage anxiety over war, conflict and crises.
These websites will provide support for English as an Additional Language in schools:
Creating a Peace Rainbow - Explore ways to respond to a tragic incident or event (Document, 15.1 Mb)
Helping children cope after crisis