**Due to the current unprecedented situation with COVID-19, the Leicestershire Health Schools Programme will be continuing providing training for schools but via webinar (MS Teams, Zoom Skype etc..) until further notice.
We have made arrangements with all of our training providers to be flexible in their delivery as new guidance emerges.
Bereavement Workshop for Primary Schools (Cohort 1)
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2020, 13:00 - 16:00
Venue: Zoom - Live Webinar
At times of bereavement the response from school can be pivotal in ensuring the best support.
This course was developed in consultation with many Leicestershire schools, local bereavement charities, educational psychologists and other experts.
This two x half-days workshop is aimed at leadership, teachers, SENCO'S and pastoral staff in primary schools. over the two sessions, in addition to giving practical advice on how best to cater for the needs of grieving individuals, the course also looks at a great many other school-related questions including…
- How children understand bereavement at different ages and stages
- Supporting pupils, families, and staff before, during and after a bereavement
- Language & listening: The impact of what we say and the importance of saying it
- Difficult situations: Anticipating them and achieving the best outcome for pupils
- Notifying the school community in a sensitive and timely manner
- Policies and practice: Examples and guidance
- Handling the media in difficult or traumatic circumstances
- Managing challenging behaviour following bereavement
- Memories and memorials-the importance of long-term support
- Bereavement in the curriculum
- Terminal Illness
- Preparing your school: A check-list for getting it right
The course is led by Steve Harris from Wellbeing Education. Delegates often report not only how much better prepared they feel to provide support, but also how the course was less 'onerous' than they imagined it would be and how positive and prepared they feel afterwards.
The course is now being offered online, as two half day sessions and an optional follow up network meeting. Delegates will receive digital resources to help them share their learning and take forward school planning following the course.
The workshop includes a free Network Sessions for delegates to attend on 04/11/2020 at 1.00pm -2.30pm:
The network sessions will provide your cohort with a scheme of ongoing facilitated peer-support around bereavement. These sessions are designed to provide you and your school with a platform to network, share tips and ideas of managing bereavement and loss in school, with some reflective discussion and feedback on the full-day workshop.
The network sessions will contain elements of, but not limited to:
• Facilitated peer-support on the impact of bereavement in CYP
• Reflective discussion on the Bereavement Workshop understanding and implementation with their schools'
• School case studies on bereavement, e.g. lessons learnt and examples of good practice
• Encouragement of school partnership work throughout
• 10-15 minute of time dedicated to Q&A. Questions may be submitted prior to the 'network session' for the provider to answer in the network session
Here are some comments from previous delegates…
"Delivered with sensitivity and professionalism." Headteacher, Ernehale Infant School.
"A difficult subject was delivered in a positive and friendly way with plenty of time for discussion and reflection." Teacher, Goodyers End Primary School.
"A lovely, relaxed, atmosphere, with a good group number." Teacher, Monkspath Primary.
"I now feel confident leading this area in school." Teacher, King Henry VIII Preparatory School
"Useful understanding of children's reactions. Useful policy." Teacher, St. Laurence C of E Primary School.
Sorry, booking for this event is now closed.