Statutory Health Education - DfE Consultation
The government have announced that ALL schools will have to teach Relationships &Sex Education (secondary) Relationships Education (primary) and health education from September 2020.
Included in what will have to be delivered:
- features of healthy friendships, family relationships and other relationships
- how relationships can affect physical and mental health
- staying safe online
- how to use technology safely, responsibly and respectfully
- how to keep personal information private
- healthy eating
- keeping fit
- prevention of health problems
- recognition of mental health and ways to support good mental health
- development of qualities such as confidence, resilience, self-respect
- wider social and economic issues
This is PSHE (But the government's altered terminology calling it 'health education' may cause confusion for some schools).
However, it is a great opportunity for schools to really develop a culture of wellbeing, positive attitudes towards health and safeguarding.
Materials to support schools will be out by September 2019 and schools will have to deliver this by September 2020.
The government consultation on the upcoming RSE Guidance has been published.
Please do complete it – as it really needs PSHE, education and health professionals' views to ensure it is as purposeful and helpful as possible. The consultation ends at the beginning of November.